Morehead and Rowan County boast an educational system second to none. Students of any age can take part in an exceptional education.
Public School—Rowan County School District
- The Rowan County School District has a long history of quality education and graduating excellent students, a pattern which continues into the 21st century.
- Only the seventh school in the Commonwealth to receive District Accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), each school is also fully accredited by SACS.
- One hundred percent of the teachers is ranked Highly Qualified and the district will continue to make academic gains to become the top academically ranked district in the 16th Region.
- The Rowan County School District takes great pride in approaching the work it does as a team effort with the school, the family and the community.
- Private Schools—Lakeside & Farmers Christian Academies
- Lakeside Christian Academy offers an advanced Christian-based curriculum including fundamental core requirements in language arts, math, science and social studies. In addition, it offers Bible, art, physical education, music and choir instruction.
- Farmers Christian Academy offers instruction for preschool through 12th grade. Seniors can graduate with one of four diploma tracts: vocational, general, college-bound or honors.
Maysville Community and Technical College
- The Rowan Campus of Maysville Community and Technical College (MCTC) has a rich tradition of working with area business and industry to offer technical and occupational training. The college continues to respond to the need for customized services to assist with the growth of local businesses.
- Workforce training is enhanced by the partnerships with business and industry leaders who serve on program advisory councils, providing guidance to keep the programs up to date.
- Job placement rates are historically above 90 percent for graduates in every program.
- The college is expanding in numerous ways including giving students more options to transfer to bachelor’s degree programs.
- As a comprehensive community and technical college, MCTC is striving to anticipate and respond to the education needs of our communities.
Morehead State University
- Morehead State has been recognized for the fourth consecutive year as one of the top public universities in the South in the 2008 edition of “America’s Best Colleges” by U.S. News & World Report.
- MSU offers an outstanding teacher training institution strong in the basic sciences, to development of world-class visual and performing arts, to a growing reputation in the space science, Morehead State University continues to evolve to meet the needs of those it serves.
- The $26 million Health, Education and Research Center, a collaboration by Morehead State University, St. Claire Regional Medical Center and the University of Kentucky will house MSU’s department of nursing and imaging sciences, UK’s physician assistant and family nurse practitioner programs, a primary care clinic, and a comprehensive health education center.
- The $15.6 million support facility of the Space Science Center is expected to be completed in 2009. MSU space science degree is one of only four in the nation.
- The five-year acceptance rate of MSU students to medically-related professional schools has risen to 81 percent, far exceeding state and national averages.
- In the future, Morehead State will continue to work hard to maintain the fierce loyalty of its alumni, their personal pride of employees, the enthusiastic determination of students, and the hopeful optimism of the citizens who want and need the University’s help to improve their lives.